This restaurant style ranch dressing is packed full of flavor with just the right amount of creamy, tangy, and fresh herb taste. You will think you are eating at a fine dining restaurant right at home.
Salad Dressing with Fresh Herb Taste
Whether you put it on your salads, drizzle it on a sandwich, or use it as a dipping sauce, this salad dressing is just delicious. We generally have a store brand bottle of ranch dressing in the refrigerator and use it often. However, once we have this freshly made salad dressing, it is gone in a flash. That is a telltale sign that using fresh herbs amps up the flavors in this recipe.
Ratio of Using Fresh versus Dried Herbs
Generally a good ratio is 1 to 3 when substituting dried herbs for fresh. Dried herbs tend to have a deeper flavor than fresh. Therefore, add less dry herbs than you would with fresh herbs. If the adjustment is not made the dried herbs can overtake the recipe with too strong of a flavor.
While I prefer the element that fresh herbs adds to this recipe, you can certainly use dried herbs in this recipe. If using dried herbs, make sure to let this ranch dressing sit overnight. This helps them rehydrate and flavor the buttermilk mixture. I have found that dried herbs help this last a bit longer in the refrigerator too; approximately 7-10 days.
What is Buttermilk?
Buttermilk is the liquid that is left behind after churning cream and making butter. You can find containers of buttermilk in the store.
However, if you have whole milk at home, you can make your own in a pinch. It does not have quite the same taste, but it can be substituted in this recipe. The milk must curdle to get that tangy taste and thicken just a bit.
Here are three ways to make your own buttermilk with whole milk.
Add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar, or lemon juice, or cream of tartar to 1 Cup of whole milk.
No matter what method you use to make your own buttermilk: let sit for 5 minutes for the magic to happen. When it is ready to use, the milk will begin to curdle and thicken.
If you prefer, the buttermilk can be swapped out for sour cream or Greek yogurt that is thinned with a few tablespoons of milk.
Better yet, skip thinning the sour cream and Greek yogurt and make a ranch dip. Try adding half a cup of grated cheddar cheese or 3-4 pieces of bacon that has been cooked and crumbled. So scrumptious.
Eat More Salads and Vegetables
When I have a good salad dressing, it makes me want to eat more salad. I seem to go out of my way to find things to eat this dressing with. If you have children, this is a great way to get them to eat raw vegetables too. A great tasting and healthy salad dressing option can make all the difference.
Our sister site, Pattern Princess, has other great tasting homemade salad dressings worthy of trying. Once you do, I bet you will be hooked on making your own from now on.
Make This Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing Recipe at Home
Once you see how easy this is to make at home, my guess is that you will be making this often. It is a perfect side for a delicious homemade family meal.
Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Chives Minced (can use 1 green onion)
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.1 Cup Mayonnaise, 1/2 Cup Buttermilk, 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Prepare fresh herbs and add all other ingredients; garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, fresh parsley, fresh dill, and fresh chives.1 Teaspoon Garlic, 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper, 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mustard, 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, 1 Teaspoon Fresh Chives
- Whisk until well combined. Chill 1 hour before serving.