Looking for an easy and flavorful chicken salad recipe? Look no further than this Easy Ultimate Chicken Salad recipe. My family has always loved chicken salad sandwiches, and I’ve prepared it many different ways.
While still keeping it simple, this Easy Ultimate Chicken Salad recipe takes chicken salad to a whole new level! Plus, it’s still super healthy!
Take a look at this twist on the classic chicken salad recipe.
Sometimes, I enjoy the simple 4 ingredient version with just grapes, chicken, celery, and mayo, but there are times when I can really go for this extra version loaded with flavors. While still keeping it simple, this Easy Ultimate Chicken Salad recipe takes chicken salad to a whole new level. Plus, it’s still super healthy!
This recipe comes together so fast!
You will be surprised how easy this is to assemble. You will want to eat this chicken salad fresh, but it gets better with time. Try chilling it in the refrigerator for an hour before serving for best results.
Chicken Salad with Grapes or Raisins
The secret to this chicken salad is in the myriad of flavors. It combines the best of fresh veggies and herbs. You can use whatever you like to make this chicken salad or pick produce right from your garden!
Why Use Fresh Herbs?
Fresh herbs are at the peak of their flavor. They lose some of their flavor as they dry and throughout storage. So it is better to use fresh herbs when possible, but not necessary. Any of your favorite fresh (or dried) herbs will work in place of the parsley and dill. Some great options include cilantro, tarragon, or basil.
What is the Conversion Rate for Fresh to Dried Herbs?
The conversion rate for fresh to dried herbs is one tablespoon of fresh herbs to one teaspoon of dried.
This recipe also calls for an avocado, an often tricky fruit to work with when you don’t have prior experience.
How to Cut an Avocado
When I first looked at an avocado, I was scared. It had tasted great in the dishes I’d tried, but I didn’t know the first thing about cutting one open, let alone getting the pit out. I struggled several times until I broke down and went on a search for some help. I came across some great YouTube videos showing what to do.
So, you could check out some videos or you can read below and get the quick version of cutting and dicing your first avocado.
First, cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Keep in mind you are cutting around the pit so your knife will not go through, instead, you go around the avocado.
Next, twist the avocado a quarter turn to release one of the halves from the pit.
Now you’re left with a pit in one half. Forget digging it out with a spoon and forget pulling with your fingers. Those pits are in good.
Grab a sturdy knife, like a chef’s knife. Keep your fingers out of the way of the pit, grasping the fruit around the outer edge and drive your knife down into the pit like you are using a small hatchet.
The idea is to stick your knife blade deep enough into the pit to be able to twist and pull it out. Then, you can simply tap it off your knife blade!
Lastly, you want to cut the avocado right in its “shell”. Using a small paring knife, being careful not to cut into your hand, grasp a half of the avocado and cut into its flesh towards your hand. Cut in long strips about an inch in width. Then, cut across those strips about an inch at a time. Your avocado should look like it has hash lines across like a tennis racket. Then you can simply scoop out the pieces with a spoon and you’re done! Avocado diced!
Chicken Salad Ingredients
Use simple healthy and wholesome ingredients to make this salad; chicken green onions, carrots, bell peppers, celery and onion. Add the Avocado dressing and all of the flavors just pop.
Variations to the Chicken Salad Recipe
- You can substitute any of the veggie ingredients for any of your other favorite vegetables!
- Tomatoes would also be a great addition (I don’t add them because my husband is allergic, but I love them!)
- Use extra Miracle Whip or mayonnaise (about ⅔ cup) in place of the avocado.
- Try almond milk or another non-dairy alternative in place of the milk. Or leave it out entirely and use water or a bit more of either miracle whip or mayonnaise.
- You can do all Miracle Whip or all mayonnaise. We mix 50/50 because mayo is healthier for my diabetic husband.
- Substitute grapes for raisins. We use whichever we have on hand.
- You can use lime in place of the lemon.
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
There are many serving possibilities for chicken salad, making it a very versatile dish. That is why I love it so much for lunches. Some serving ideas include:
- Wraps or Lettuce Wraps
- As a dip for tortilla chips or crackers
- Over salad greens
Avocado Salad Dressing
This recipe includes a deliciously creamy avocado salad dressing. The addition of this salad dressing is just perfect. However, you can use this on a lettuce salad as well. Make some today it is so easy to make in the blender with fresh avocado, mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, milk, fresh dill, garlic and lemon juice. Whip up a batch today.
Easy Ultimate Chicken Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 Cups Shredded Chicken
- 2 Green Onions Chopped
- 1 Carrot Shredded
- 2 Bell Peppers Diced can be green, yellow, orange, or red-add some lovely color
- 2 Stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Small Onion Diced
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Miracle Whip
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Dill Chopped
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Minced or 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Juice or 1 Tsp. Lime Juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the chicken salad.
- Feel free to add or omit ingredients to your family’s preference.
- Dice your avocado, chop your dill, and add all dressing ingredients EXCEPT the MILK to a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth. Add the milk parts at a time and process until the dressing is the consistency that you like. Pour the mixture over the chicken salad and mix thoroughly.
- Place the mixed chicken salad in a covered container in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving for best results. Enjoy.
We hope you enjoy this Easy Ultimate Chicken Salad recipe as much as our family has. Don’t be afraid to experiment with this one and add your own family twist! Let us know in the comments what ideas your family comes up with or loves in your chicken salad!