This cheesy zucchini bacon casserole packs so much flavor. It is one of those recipes where you go back for seconds. Turn this versatile veggie into a delicious meal. this is a breeze to whip up, making it a go-to option for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. Get ready to indulge in a dish that’s sure to become a staple in your recipe rotation.
Our whole family loves to dig into this.
Bursting with great flavor and simplicity, this recipe has become a cherished favorite in our household. With tender fresh zucchini, crispy bacon, and a generous helping of gooey cheese, it’s a comforting and satisfying dish that’s perfect for any occasion.
I love developing new recipes. This zucchini casserole recipe has been in our recipe box for quite a few years. When I worked in a restaurant, when we first developed this. It’s a delicious recipe and we had it on the menu as a seasonal item.
Wondering What to do with the Over Abundance of Zucchini?
There is a special time of year when the gardens are producing zucchini faster than it can be used. So, if you are like me, you will want recipes like this in your back pocket to use all those delicious vegetables.
If you have an abundance of summer zucchini, try this casserole for dinner tonight. Even if you have those overgrown ones that your neighbor brought over. No worries, just make sure to cut off the tough rind and seeds. What is left is a nice bit of zucchini that can be cut into cubes for this cheesy zucchini bake.
Zucchini Recipes. Before we get into this recipe, I wanted to let you know that I found another super easy recipe called zucchini Involtini. It is a long thin zucchini slices filled with ricotta, then rolled up and placed in a casserole dish with a tomato sauce.
Hearty Zucchini Bake
While this can be served as a side dish, we love this as a main dish. Pair it with a piece of crusty garlic bread and a salad. It is cheesy, has smoky meaty flavor from the bacon, the tomato, basil, and oregano make this taste like a pizza.
We just love this time of year when the vegetables from the garden are plentiful for an easy recipe like this.
Ingredients Used in Cheesy Zucchini Recipe
This recipe is straightforward with zucchini being the main star of this recipe.
- Zucchini. Peeled and diced especially if overgrown. If you have a medium zucchini, you can slice it into zucchini chips. This recipe works for Yellow Squash too.
- Diced Onion. I have made this using all sorts of onions; whatever is on hand is what I use, and it works well in this recipe.
- Bacon. Partially cooked and cut-up into small pieces. It will finish cooking and the bacon drippings add lots of flavor. If you prefer a crispy bacon, cook it until crispy before adding.
- Tomatoes. Can be fresh and diced or a can of diced tomatoes works well too. Just make sure to drain the liquid from the diced tomatoes before adding.
- Herbs. Dried Basil, Oregano, and Parsley. If you have fresh herbs, that works well for this recipe too. If using fresh herbs double the amount you add to this recipe. The dried herbs are more potent than the fresh herbs.
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese. Any other good melting cheese works well too.
Cheesy Zucchini Bacon Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 Cups Zucchini Peeled and diced
- 1 Small Onion Diced
- 12 Slices Bacon Partially cooked and cut-up into small pieces
- 14.5 Oz. Tomatoes I use a can of diced tomatoes or dice fresh tomatoes.
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper or to taste
- 3 Cups Mozzarella Cheese or some other cheese that melts well that you enjoy saving 1 cup for the top of the casserole
- Dice the bacon and fry in a frying pan until half cooked. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.12 Slices Bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Break up the bacon into small pieces. In a large bowl add the zucchini, bacon pieces, onion, tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of the shredded mozzarella cheese. (reserving 1 cup of the shredded cheese for the topping), mix the ingredients together.4 Cups Zucchini, 1 Small Onion, 14.5 Oz. Tomatoes, 1 Tsp. Dried Basil, 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano, 1 Tsp. Dried Parsley, 1/2 Tsp. Salt, 1/2 Tsp. Pepper, 3 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking pan with oil. Add the zucchini mixture to the baking dish. Top with the reserved shredded cheese. Bake for 1 hour.
Your Own Private Notes
Does zucchini casserole freeze well?Zucchini casserole tastes best when eaten fresh from the oven. This zucchini casserole can be baked and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after baking; however, we would not recommend freezing it. Once frozen and thawed, the zucchini seems to break down even more and the casserole can become a bit watery and soggy. Therefore, make enough to be eaten within 5 days.
Reheating Cheesy Zucchini Bacon CasseroleThere are two ways I reheat this delicious bake. One, just pop it in a microwave safe container and microwave a few minutes until it is piping hot, and the cheese is all melty. The second way is to place it back in the oven to be baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit; until the casserole is bubbling and well heated through.
Does zucchini casserole freeze well?
Zucchini casserole tastes best when eaten fresh from the oven.
This zucchini casserole can be baked and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after baking; however, we would not recommend freezing it. Once frozen and thawed, the zucchini seems to break down even more and the casserole can become a bit watery and soggy. Therefore, make enough to be eaten within 5 days.
How to Store Zucchini Bake
To store leftovers of the Cheesy Zucchini Bacon Casserole, follow these simple steps:
Refrigerating. Transfer any leftover portions into an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Store the containers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing. This dish can also be frozen for longer storage. Place the containers in the freezer, where they can last for up to 2-3 months.
Reheating Cheesy Zucchini Bacon Casserole
There are two ways I reheat this delicious bake. One, just pop it in a microwave safe container and microwave a few minutes until it is piping hot, and the cheese is all melty.
The second way is to place it back in the oven to be baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit; until the casserole is bubbling and well heated through.
By following these storage tips, you can ensure that your leftover Cheesy Zucchini Bacon Casserole stays delicious for future enjoyment!
If you are looking to add more gluten free recipes to your menu planning, this site has hundreds of recipes and ideas for you. I even submit my recipes. I hope you check them out.