Craving Longhorn Steakhouse Stuffed Mushrooms? We have the recipe. Copycat recipes like this are the closest you can get to the restaurant version without dining there. These flavorful mushrooms combine the perfect blend of cheeses, garlic, and herbs to create an indulgently savory treat.
With just a few simple ingredients and some easy prep work, you can make these tasty treats right in your own kitchen. Not only are they super flavorful but they also make an impressive presentation when served as an appetizer or snack.
Plus, the best part is you get to skip the long lines and noisy dining rooms by making them yourself. Enjoy the same great flavors and textures of this popular appetizer right in your own home.
If you are a mushroom lover, this recipe is just right for you.
How to Clean Mushrooms
Contrary to popular belief, it is best NOT to wash mushrooms. Since mushrooms are porous; therefore, they soak up liquid like a sponge. Once they have soaked up liquid, it is hard to get them to soak up other flavors in the dish you are making with them. Further, once, water-logged, it will be very hard to get them crispy.
So, if you want to clean your mushrooms and you shouldn’t use water, how do you clean them?
Since most mushrooms you purchase at the grocery store are grown indoors, they are relatively clean.
Just inspect for any dirt or grime. If you do find any, wipe with a clean cloth, paper towel, or brush the dirt off with a pastry brush.
That’s it. You are now ready to use them in your favorite recipe or store in the refrigerator.
If you have wild mushrooms or ones that are really dirty, you may have to wash them in lukewarm water. However, you should drain all the excess water in a colander and blot them dry thoroughly. Use them right away. They will not store well.
How to Store Mushrooms
Mushrooms are best stored in the refrigerator in a brown paper bag. Once they are wiped clean of any debris, just place mushrooms in the bag and store in the fridge. If you do not have a paper bag, you can place in a plastic bag with the end left open so there is air circulation.
How to Make the Longhorn Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
While there are a few steps to making this mushrooms recipe, it is well worth it. They are just so delicious.
Begin by cleaning and removing the mushroom stems. roasting the mushrooms for 15 minutes while you prepare the cream cheese filling. This will help make sure that they are not soggy when baked with the filling and topping.
Make the cream cheese filling and stuff the mushrooms with the filling and top with the panko bread crumbs and shredded cheese once they have cooled for 10 to 15 minutes.
Turn down the oven temperature.
Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melty and just starting to turn a light golden brown.
While they are baking, make the cheese sauce which is like a white fondue type sauce.
In a saucepan, combine the half and half, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, pepper, and sour cream and cook over medium heat.
Add the shredded cheeses, white cheddar, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, and Gruyere cheese. Continue cooking stirring constantly until the cheeses are melted and the creamy sauce is well combined.
Now its time to serve. You can add the cheese sauce to the bottom of your serving dish or place in individual ramekins for guests. They can spoon the sauce over the mushrooms or dip their appetizer into the cheesy sauce.
Can you Freeze Stuffed Mushrooms
It is best to freeze the stuffed mushrooms unbaked. Then when you are ready to enjoy, just pop them in the oven to bake. To freeze the mushrooms, place on a parchment lined baking tray in a single layer in the freezer. Place the tray in the freezer until frozen.
Once frozen, they will be fresh up to 4 months in the freezer. When ready to bake, remove the mushrooms from the tray and place in heavy duty freezer bags or another airtight container safe for the freezer.
This way, you can bake a lot or just a few at a time.
You can bake them from frozen. Just place in a single layer on a baking tray and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes.
How do you reheat Longhorn stuffed mushrooms
To reheat stuffed mushrooms, bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
What to serve with stuffed mushrooms?
Here are a few ideas for what to serve with stuffed mushrooms:
- A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing
- Garlic bread or toasted baguette slices
- Roasted vegetables like asparagus or carrots
- Creamy polenta or mashed potatoes
- Grilled or roasted chicken or fish for a heartier meal
- A light soup like tomato or vegetable soup
Best Recipe for Longhorn Steakhouse Stuffed Mushrooms Copycat
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 16 Ounces White Button Mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 / teaspoon Salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- Shredded white cheddar cheese or parmesan ¾ cup
- 3/4 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley Flakes fresh and chopped or dried
- 1/4 Cup white cheddar Shredded
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Romano cheese Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Gruyere cheese Shredded
- 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Cup Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream or Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean any dirty and debris from the mushrooms by wiping with a clean cloth, paper towel, or pastry brush. Remove the stems in the center of the mushrooms.
- Gently toss mushrooms with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes, stirring at 7 minutes. The mushrooms will shrink from the baking. This is normal.
Cream Cheese filling
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese.
- Mix until well combined.
- Stuffing and Baking the Mushrooms
- Turn the oven temperature down to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stuff each mushroom with about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture.
- Place the mushrooms in a single layer side-by-side on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- Finally, top with shredded white cheddar cheese. Combine the panko breadcrumbs and parsley. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starting to turn a golden brown.
- To save time, while the mushrooms are baking, prepare the white sauce.
- In a saucepan, combine the half and half, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, pepper, and sour cream and cook over medium heat.
- Add the shredded cheeses, white cheddar, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, and Gruyere cheese. Continue cooking stirring constantly until the cheeses are melted and the creamy sauce is well combined.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the bottom of your serving dish, casserole dish, or place in ramekins and serve it on the side for your guests to spoon over their mushrooms or dip into.
- However, the steakhouse places theirs on top of the sauce. In the serving dish.