This glazed cherry butter cake is like fantastic moist buttery pound cake with a tart cherry filling and a hint of a sweet frosting to bring this all together. If you have any left on the second day, it is even better.
Easy Dessert Recipe for a Gathering
Recipes like this are quick to make and fun to serve. Simply perfect whether it is for a potluck dish-to-pass for a large gathering, a birthday party, or a friendly low-key event.
Simple Ingredients for a Delicious Budget-Friendly Recipe
So often recipes that I write up require extra information for folks to be successful in making the recipe for themselves. This is one recipe where there are no special ingredients in this cake.
It is made just the way you would expect, with butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. Oh, yeah, one can of pie filling too. I used cherry pie filling because that is the popular flavor in our house. Blueberry is probably the second on the list. However, I have used peach pie filling with scrumptious results too. Please go ahead and try a few and find the one or two that your family craves.
Glazed Cherry Butter Cake Recipe Success
As I mentioned previously, no special tricks for success. In fact, I mix this by hand. The less mixing you do the better.
Make sure that the ingredients are at room temperature. The butter should be soft as it will incorporate with the rest of the ingredients better. Use real butter.
Do this and your cake is bound to be buttery, sweet, soft, and moist.
Freezing This Dessert
This cake freezes well if wrapped well in plastic and in an airtight container. I generally will freeze without the glaze. Then I let the cake thaw to room temperature before serving. While I am waiting, I will make the glaze and drizzle on just before serving.
Making the Glaze
I make the glaze from just two ingredients: powdered sugar and milk. Sometimes depending on what I will be glazing, I might substitute out the milk for lemon juice. It gives this a bit of a fresh tartness.
Just like the cake, mix this by hand in a bowl until drizzling consistency.
Make sure that the cake cools completely before glazing.
For us, this is just the perfect topping. Just enough sweetness.
However, if you prefer, you can make a vanilla buttercream that would also be buttery and sweet added to this.
Glazed Cherry Butter Cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks very soft
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling 1 can
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBL milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix with a whisk or use a mixer. Cream together butter, granulated sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add all-purpose flour and salt to the creamed mixture.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into prepared pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the cherry pie filling and spread to even out layer on cake
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 50 minutes or until center is soft to the touch. Remove cake and cool.
Making the Glaze
- For the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and milk. Once the cake is cool, spoon over the top and spread to the sides.