A fuss-free recipe for Easy Ham and Pickle Roll Ups. This 3 ingredient appetizer is the perfect appetizer that effortlessly combines savory deli ham slices, tangy pickles, and a layer of cream cheese.
Just roll them up, slice into rounds, insert a toothpick, and place on a serving tray. Elevate your hosting game with this quick and crowd-pleasing treat that requires minimal ingredients and delivers maximum flavor.
We Always Have These at Parties
Revisit a classic with this timeless Easy Ham and Pickle Roll Up recipe. Transporting us to a bygone era, these bite-sized delights were a staple at parties and family gatherings for decades.
Whip up a batch of these roll ups and relive the joy of sharing uncomplicated yet delicious treats, perfect for bringing a touch of the past to your present-day gatherings.
It’s one of those good recipes that has been around for decades. I make it, my mom makes these, and my grandmother makes these quite often. They are at almost every family function.
This isn’t just a simple appetizer; it also makes a great afterschool snack. It just takes minutes to make and kids of all ages love snacking on these little bites. Embrace the nostalgia as you recreate this recipe, connecting it with the simplicity and tradition that made it a favorite in days gone by.
Ham and Pickle Roll-Up Ingredients
We have our favorites when it comes to ingredients for this simple recipe. But you can mix things up a bit if you wish too.
Ham. We get slices of ham in the shape of a rectangle. The best is getting the deli meat from the meat counter and having it sliced into thin slices.
If we can’t get that, then we look for the prepackaged ham lunch meat that is thinly sliced and rectangle shape.
Cream Cheese. Use room temperature cream cheese as it is best for easier spreading. We get full fat cream cheese spread in a crock for a better taste; however, you can use the kind you like best. We have tried whipped cream cheese, but it doesn’t work as well. It doesn’t hold the wrap together as good.
Pickles. You can use dill pickle spears or small whole dill pickles for this recipe.If you have a jar of large whole pickles, cut them lengthwise into four spears.
In fact, you can make this using dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, or sweet pickles. In fact, at our house, we have people on both sides of the debate. Therefore, we usually end up making a sweeter pickle and dill pickle. No worries, they all get eaten and enjoyed by all. Our whole family loves these. Use your favorite pickle flavor.
Variation to Pickles. We have a grocery store near us that makes this recipe using green onions in place of the dill pickles. A delicious combination.
Easy Ham and Pickle Roll Ups Appetizer Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 Slices Deli Ham thinly sliced
- 8 Pickle Spears dill, bread and butter, or sweet
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese softened
- Toothpicks for securing wraps
- Lay out a ham slice on a clean surface. Pat the ham dry with a clean paper towel to remove excess moisture.8 Slices Deli Ham
- Use a butter knife to spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture evenly across each ham slice. About a tablespoon of cream cheese. Variation. You can spread the cream cheese over the whole ham slice or across one section on one end.1 Cup Cream Cheese
- Pat the pickle spear dry with paper towels. Place a pickle spear at one end of each ham slice.8 Pickle Spears
- Carefully roll up the ham around the pickle, making sure it’s tightly wrapped. Continue to do this for each slice of ham and pickle.
- Slice into ¾ inch to 1 inch bite-sized pieces. Secure each roll with a toothpick and place on a serving tray.Toothpicks
- Alternatively, you can leave it whole and snack on the whole wrap. Often, the ends have a little extra ham sticking out. Just slice that off to make ends even. Use it in salads or for snacking.
- Before serving, allow the wraps to chill in the refrigerator for at least 15-30 minutes. This not only helps the flavors meld but also allows the cream cheese to set, making them easier to handle.
- Arrange the bite-sized appetizers on a serving platter.
Your Own Private Notes
How to Store Ham and Pickle Roll UpsThese wraps are best enjoyed within 2-3 days of preparation for optimal freshness.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Place them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. Moisture can affect the texture of the wraps. Ensure that the wraps are not exposed to excess moisture in the refrigerator. If condensation builds up inside the storage container, pat the wraps dry with a paper towel before serving. Since this recipe uses cream cheese, I do not recommend freezing. It might become crumbly or slightly grainy once the cream cheese has thawed.
How to Store Ham and Pickle Roll Ups
These wraps are best enjoyed within 2-3 days of preparation for optimal freshness.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Place them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh.
Moisture can affect the texture of the wraps. Ensure that the wraps are not exposed to excess moisture in the refrigerator. If condensation builds up inside the storage container, pat the wraps dry with a paper towel before serving.
Since this recipe uses cream cheese, I do not recommend freezing. It might become crumbly or slightly grainy once the cream cheese has thawed.
This super easy appetizer or snack is called many things. In the Midwest, people call them ham pickle roll ups, ham roll ups, ham rolls or cream cheese roll ups. No matter what you call them, they are perfect for a snack, game night, as an appetizer, party treat, or game day. Enjoy the delightful combination of simple ingredients.
Perfect low carb wraps.
Choosing the Perfect Ham for Pickle Roll Ups
When selecting ham for your pickle roll ups, opt for thinly sliced deli ham or lunchmeat. This variety is the most convenient to work with, offering flexibility for rolling. Avoid using thick ham slices or extremely thin chipped or shaved ham, as they may not provide the ideal texture for this appetizer. Specifically, we like Boar’s Head Branded Deluxe Ham.
Preventing Sogginess in Roll Ups
To ensure your roll ups stay delightfully crisp, it’s crucial to eliminate excess moisture. Begin by patting the sliced ham dry with a clean paper towel before spreading on the cream cheese. Likewise, take a moment to pat the pickles dry with a paper towel before placing them on the roll up. This simple step helps maintain the integrity of each layer and guarantees a satisfying crunch with every bite.
If you enjoy easy appetizer recipes, we have a few more for you to explore.