Look no further than fried mushrooms with one delicious twist if you are looking for an easy, great tasting appetizer to feed a crowd.
So easy to make this is a restaurant-quality dish right at home. Whether you are hosting a party, making this as a starter, or a snack, they are so easy and quick to make.
Instead of deep frying in oil, why not try cooking them in your air fryer instead?
Air-fried mushrooms are not only healthier but also quicker and easier to make. Plus, their crunchy texture pairs perfectly with any sports game or gathering.
So, if you’re ready for crunchy, flavorful mushrooms that your friends and family won’t be able to get enough of, then keep reading. You’ll have the perfect batch of crispy treats ready in less time than ever before!
Savory and Robust Flavors
I am a mushroom lover and so is my mom. We just love the savory and robust flavors. We eat fried mushrooms a lot on steak or right from the pan.
They make a perfect side dish to compliment many meats and vegetables. You can prepare them based on your personal preference, but we love breaded mushrooms for your next game day appetizer. And the air fryer lets you do it all with hot air and less oil.
What are the best type of mushrooms for appetizers?
The best type of mushrooms for appetizers are: white button mushrooms, baby bellas, cremini, portobellos, or portabellas.
Are white button mushrooms the same as portobello mushrooms?
The answer is yes! White button mushrooms, portobello, and cremini mushrooms all share an interesting connection that may come as a surprise to many.
These three types of mushrooms, despite their differing appearances and flavors, are actually the same species of fungus; Agaricus Bisporus. According to the mushroom expert.
While they appear distinct and find themselves in a variety of culinary dishes, their diversity stems from their various stages of growth and maturation rather than genetic differences.
White button mushrooms are the youngest and most tender, while cremini exemplify the intermediate stage of maturity, boasting a deeper flavor and slightly firmer texture.
Finally, portobello mushrooms represent the fully matured and largest variant, showcasing their distinguishing wide, flat caps and rich, earthy taste.
This fascinating link between the popular fungi varieties highlights the incredible versatility of Agaricus bisporus, which has carved its place as a ubiquitous ingredient in gourmet and home kitchens alike.
How to Make Fried Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
If you are looking for an easy air fryer mushrooms recipe, look no further. They are so easy to make. Air frying them is the best way to prepare them in a hurry for a crowd or to free up your oven for other uses and foods. Here is the basic process below.
Air Fryer Mushroom Recipe
Step one: Brush off any dirt and cut up the larger mushrooms to make them all the same size. This helps them cook uniformly. Pro Tip. You do not have to wash mushrooms unless they are extra dirty. If you do wash them, make sure to pat them dry before preparing this dish.
Step two: Dunk your mushrooms through an egg wash and then roll them in Panko bread crumbs. You could also make a thicker batter for your mushrooms. We recommend making an egg mixture with flour and breadcrumbs and your favorite seasonings. Then roll your mushrooms through.
Step three: To get those crispy edges, brush olive oil or a light coating of cooking spray on your breaded mushrooms. You could also use avocado oil or another favorite cooking oil.
Step four: Place the prepared mushrooms in the air fryer basket in a single layer. If you have a smaller air fryer, you will need to make multiple batches.
Step five: How long should you cook mushrooms in the air fryer? Fry your mushrooms for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the batter or breading is cooked through. Cooking time may need to be adjusted for thicker batter or larger mushrooms.
Step six: Top with your favorite seasoning or parmesan cheese. Serve warm with dipping sauce options.
Seasonings for fried mushrooms
For the best results, use these seasonings in your batter or directly on your fried mushrooms. They also would be great in an oil as a dipping sauce.; garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
Our favorite dipping sauces for fried mushrooms
These are our favorite sauces for dipping fried mushrooms: ranch dressing, marinara sauces, soy sauce, Seasoned, or flavored olive oil.
Batter options for fried mushrooms
Fried mushrooms are a delightful appetizer that delivers a satisfying crunch, but have you ever considered exploring different batter options to elevate your mushroom game?
Swapping out the traditional batter for unique and flavorful alternatives can completely transform this tasty treat, making it even more exciting for your taste buds.
You could try incorporating spices such as paprika, turmeric, or curry powder to give your mushrooms an unexpected kick.
Alternatively, for a crunchy outside, consider using panko breadcrumbs, or even cornmeal with a touch of Parmesan cheese.
You could even venture into experimenting with gluten-free alternatives, such as rice flour or almond meal, which not only cater to dietary restrictions but also add interesting textures to your fried mushrooms.
Get creative and introduce your friends and family to a world of delectable, battered mushrooms they never knew they needed!
You could also make a tempura batter or beer batter.
Tempura is a very light batter that will suit to enhance the mushrooms while beer batter with add another layer of unique flavor.
Another great option our family loves is using pancake batter. We love to use a tasty pancake batter for many fried foods. It hits that sweet and salty flavor profile and is a light and fluffy center with a great crunch on the outside.
You can find the pancake batter coating recipe used in our Crispy Beer Battered Fish Recipe.
Make your own crispy coating. How to Make Homemade Panko Breadcrumbs.
How long do cooked mushrooms last in fridge?
Sauteed Cooked mushrooms stored in an airtight container will last in the refrigerator up to seven days.
However, a battered mushroom will become rather soggy after just a few days. Use an air fryer or oven to help crisp them up a bit upon reheating. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
How to Make Fried Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms white button mushrooms, baby bellas, cremini, portobellos, or portabellas
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Breadcrumbs such as Panko
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Water
- Olive Oil spray or another cooking oil spray.
- Brush off any dirt and cut up the larger mushrooms to make them all the same size. This helps them cook uniformly. Pro Tip. You do not have to wash mushrooms unless they are extra dirty. If you do wash them, make sure to pat them dry before preparing this dish.
- Slice mushrooms into bite-size pieces; halves or quarters, depending on their size.
- In a bowl, add the dry ingredients flour, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs and water with a fork.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a fork, dip each mushroom into the egg mixture. Then roll in the dry ingredients making sure to coat each piece thoroughly.
- Set the mushrooms aside on a plate or baking sheet lined with a rack.
- Spray the tops of each one with spray oil. Turnover and spray the other side. Make sure that no dry flour remains. Pro Tip. Because you will be air frying rather than oil frying, they will not crisp up or take on that golden color as well without the spray oil.
- Working in batches. Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Bake for 5-7 minutes depending on size. Using a tongs, turn the mushrooms half way through to allow them to cook evenly.
- When done, place on a plate lined with a paper towel or a baking pan lined with a rack. Let them sit for several minutes to cool as they will be extremely hot to the touch.