If you have this appliance, you may have thought to yourself, Can You Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker? Actually, it is a good idea, and the coffee shops do this all the time.
Good news. Yes, it is possible to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker. Simply add the hot chocolate mix and milk to the coffee maker’s carafe and run it through a brewing cycle as you would with coffee. Make sure to clean the coffee maker thoroughly afterward to avoid any residual flavor.
Whether you are Making a Mug for yourself or a crowd, here are a few fun topping ideas.
Add some chocolate sprinkles on top or a few marshmallows if you prefer that extra taste.
Homemade whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate make this drink so fancy and scrumptious.
Cocoa Powder Versus Hot Chocolate Powder
Hot chocolate powder and Cocoa powder are not the same. Cocoa powder is made by grinding cocoa beans and removing the cocoa butter. It has a bitter taste as it is unsweetened, and often used in baking or making beverages.
Hot chocolate powder, on the other hand, is a sweetened and flavored powder that is used to make hot chocolate. It often contains sugar, milk powder, and other flavorings like vanilla.
How to Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Urn for a Crowd?
During the fall and winter months, we make a lot of hot chocolate in an urn. It warms you up on those cold days and evenings.
The easiest way to serve hot chocolate is in a coffee urn.
We have friends that have sleigh rides, and they are always making food over the campfire for their guests and a delicious cup of hot chocolate is a must.
Here is what you need to know.
Here are the simple steps to make hot chocolate in a coffee urn for a crowd:
We like to use hot chocolate powder for ease. Just a few simple steps and ingredients. It can be made with just water, but we find that if we add milk to the hot chocolate mixture, it tastes so much better. We use ¾ cold water and ¼ whole milk. Depending on the cups of water your coffee urn holds, that is the amount of liquid and cocoa powder to add.
There should be markings on the inside or outside of the coffee maker.
You will need to read the cocoa powder container to determine how much powder to add. Generally, you can plan on a teaspoon or tablespoon of hot chocolate mix per cup.
- Remove the steel rod and the basket that holds the coffee grounds. Now it is a hot chocolate maker.
- Fill the coffee urn with water and milk turn it on to heat the water.
- Once the water is heated, add hot chocolate mix, and stir well until dissolved.
- Allow the hot chocolate to continue to heat in the urn until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Serve in mugs and enjoy!
How to Make Hot Chocolate with an Espresso Machine
Here are the steps to make hot chocolate with an espresso machine:
- Fill the water reservoir with water and turn on the machine to heat up the water.
- Mix together your hot chocolate mix and milk in a container.
- Froth the milk mixture using the steam wand on your espresso machine until it becomes creamy and frothy.
- Pour the frothed milk mixture into a mug.
- Add the hot water from the espresso machine to the mug until it reaches the desired hot chocolate strength.
- Stir and enjoy.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Without a Coffee Maker
Here’s a simple recipe for making hot chocolate without a coffee maker. For best results, make it with real chocolate too.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of milk over medium heat until it starts to steam.
- Reduce the heat to low and add 1/4 cup of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Whisk the mixture until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar or sweetener to taste, and a pinch of salt.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- Optional. Use a milk frother to whip heavy cream as a topping.
What is a Mocha?
A mocha is a type of coffee beverage that typically consists of espresso, milk, and chocolate syrup or cocoa powder. It is often topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
How Do I Make a Mocha?
To make a mocha, you will need to mix espresso or strong coffee with chocolate syrup or melted chocolate, and then add steamed milk. You can also top it off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
Step by Step, How to Make Mocha
Here are the steps to make a mocha:
- Brew 1 shot of espresso.
- Heat up 1 cup of milk on the stove or in the microwave.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar to the milk and stir until fully dissolved.
- Pour the espresso shot into a mug.
- Pour the milk mixture into the mug, using a spoon to hold back the foam until the end.
- Spoon the foam on top of the drink.
- Optional: sprinkle some cocoa powder or cinnamon on top for extra flavor.
Enjoy your delicious homemade mocha.
How to Make Hot Chocolate with a Capsule Coffee Machine?
To make with hot chocolate capsules in a coffee machine, the easy way is to use hot chocolate pods that are compatible with your machine.
Simply insert the hot chocolate capsule into the machine and select the appropriate button for hot chocolate. If your machine doesn’t have a specific hot chocolate button, you can use the espresso button to dispense the hot chocolate.
If you do not have this flavor container. Use a reusable pod container and fill it with instant cocoa powder mixture.
One more option is to use a milk powder capsule. Insert the capsule and operate the machine. Once dispensed, add the chocolate mixture powder and any other toppings desired.
Once the hot chocolate is dispensed, stir in any additional ingredients such as milk or sugar to taste.
How to Make Hot Chocolate with a Drip Coffee Maker
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Fill the coffee maker with water and turn it on to preheat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
- Pour the milk into the coffee pot along with the cocoa mixture and vanilla extract. Stir well to combine.
- Once the coffee maker is preheated, pour the milk mixture into the coffee pot.
- Allow the hot chocolate to brew through the coffee maker, just as you would brew a pot of coffee. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the hot chocolate has finished brewing, pour it into a mug and enjoy!
- Note: Be sure to clean your coffee maker thoroughly after making hot chocolate to avoid any lingering flavors in your next cup of coffee.
- Optional. Add some chocolate sprinkles on top or a few marshmallows if you prefer that extra taste.
- Homemade whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate make this drink so fancy and scrumptious.