This Cheesy Pork Chop and Rice Bake is a quick and easy casserole that the whole family is sure to enjoy. A one pan complete meal that includes vegetables, rice, and plump pork chops all covered in a gooey and delicious cheese sauce.
The best thing is this recipe results in tender pork chops, flavorful vegetables, and the creamy rice and the rich flavor of the pork drippings carries the flavors throughout this perfect pork chop recipe.
The leftovers are always fantastic, it’s a great way to stretch your grocery budget, and cooking up something delicious in just one dish makes the entire family happy.
Mix and Match Ingredients
You can mix and match ingredients depending on what you have on hand. This one-pan pork chops recipe is very easy to alter and make your own. The possibilities are endless.
Today, I used frozen California style mixed vegetables. However, you could add fresh vegetables, onion, bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cabbage, or choose a different veggie mix.
Make this with chicken breasts rather than pork chops. Really, pork steak, pork tenderloin, boneless pork chops, bone-in pork chops, chicken thighs, wings or drumsticks will work well in this recipe. This one will quickly become a favorite in your home; even kids love it at our house.
To speed things along, I used the ready rice as I can just add it and forget it. However, if you use uncooked rice just add an equal amount of water or chicken broth to compensate for the rice absorbing the liquid. Additionally, any precooked rice will work in this recipe, brown rice, white rice, wild rice blend, or an herbed rice are all great choice. Instant rice works well too.
I wanted a gooey cheese so I chose mozzarella; however, any shredded cheese that you enjoy will work in this recipe, cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, or a shredded cheese blend are all great choices.
Baked Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
This is really a simple casserole that takes no time at all to prepare and bakes up in 30 minutes. A great go-to busy weeknights meal recipe. Use pantry staples to make this delicious meal.
Combine the Velveeta cheese and heavy cream and cook until they combine to become a beautiful velvety sauce.
Mix the rice, vegetables, and shredded mozzarella cheese then pour over the cheese sauce.
Add this to the baking dish and season the pork chops. Place pork chops in a single layer to the top of the rice mixture then cover and bake for 30 minutes.
That’s it. Minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake and you have dinner ready with little clean up and everyone is happy enjoying their comfort food style meal with real flavor.
How to Tell if Pork Chops are Done
When using an instant read Thermometer, the internal temperature should read between 145F – 160F. If you do not have a thermometer on hand, you can test the meat using a tongs. Press in the center of the meat. It should be just firm, but not hard.
Using a thermometer is the best way to test for doneness of the meat; however, once you have tested by checking for firmness a few times, you will get the hang of telling whether the meat is done or not.
How Long Does Velveeta Cheese Last Unopened?
The container of cheese will have a best-by date to help with how long the cheese will be fresh. However, the shelf life of Velveeta cheese if left unopened is generally 6 months from the manufacture date.
Due to the process of making the Velveeta cheese, it is shelf stable when unopened. Once opened, I like to cover the unused portion with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container and refrigerate. If not covered, the uncovered portion will become dried out.
Recipes with Velveeta Cheese
Velveeta cheese makes so many recipes just taste better. The rich, creamy texture enhances any dish it is added to. If you love cheese and rich sauces, here are a few recipes you are sure to enjoy.
How to Store Cheesy Pork Chop and Rice Casserole Leftovers
Let the casserole cool to room temperature, then place in an airtight container and refrigerate. It will last up to 5 days.
To reheat, since there is a cheese sauce, it is best to reheat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Additionally, you can place the individual servings in an oven safe container and bake until hot and bubbly.
Slow Cooker Pork Chops
This recipe is a great choice for making in a slow cooker. Just add the ingredients the same as you would for the casserole dish. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4 hours and enjoy.
Make this easy dinner recipe today and I bet your family will ask to have this often. It’s a great way to get vegetables into the dinner menu rotation.
Cheesy Pork Chop and Rice Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 12 Ounces Velveeta Cheese cubed
- 16 Ounces Heavy Cream
- 8.8 Ounces Long Grain Rice I used 1 package of Ready Rice
- 8.8 Ounces Whole Grain Rice I used 1 package of Ready Rice
- 24 Ounces Vegetables I used a bag of frozen California Style Vegetables
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 5 Pork Chops 5 or 6 pork chops
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet or medium size saucepan, add the Velveeta cheese and heavy cream. Cook on medium high heat stirring occasionally until the cheese has melted and combined with the cream to create a sauce. Turn off the heat and set aside. Pro Tip. Be careful to stir often as the cheese can quickly stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- In a large bowl, combine the long grain rice, whole grain rice, vegetables, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the cheese sauce to the rice and vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour this into a 9 X 13 prepared casserole dish sprayed with oil.
- Prepare the pork chops by seasoning both sides with the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place the pork chops on top of the rice mixture in the baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Until hot and bubbly.