This broccoli cheddar pasta salad recipe is the one that you get at your local deli. There are a few food items that are hard to resist when passing the deli counter. This broccoli and pasta salad is one of them. I will purchase two pounds and bring it home just to see it evaporate the same day. To top it off, I was lucky to get a tablespoon of it.
Make this Deli Copycat Recipe at Home
While I love to be able to just pick up a bit of this salad, it is much more cost effective to make at home. I can make a batch of this for so much less money. This recipe will make enough servings to feed 12. We now make this whenever one of the family members starts getting hungry for it.
Finding the Walmart Deli Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad Recipe
It is nice to have friends that work in the food industry. Often, we swap recipes, and this is one of them that I was lucky to snag. Now, I am sharing this with you as it is one of the family’s favorites.
What is in This Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad?
Pair fresh broccoli, cheese, diced red onion, pasta, and a sweet salad dressing with pasta. I think the cheese is what tips the scales. This side dish just ticks all the boxes for us.
Potluck Pasta Salad Recipe
When I bring this salad to any party, people seem to know exactly what it is. I imagine because it is something that can be purchased at a deli counter. However, they also take large helpings of it. So, they must be enjoying this salad. I rarely have any to take back home.
In less than 30 minutes, you can be enjoying your homemade Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad.
Salad Recipe Tips
After the pasta has cooked, rinse the noodles in cool water in a colander. This will help cool down the pasta and remove the excess starch.
Rinse the diced red onion and drain in a colander. This will help remove some of the pungent taste of the onion. In my salad, if you skip this step, sometimes, the onion can take over the taste of the salad a bit. I want the crunch of the onion and a little bit of the taste, but not and overpowering onion taste.
Mix the salad dressing ingredients together before adding to the rest of the salad ingredients. By doing this, the sugar has a chance to dissolve and flavor the entire dish, not just part of it.
Once the broccoli is trimmed into small florets, rinse and drain in a colander. This just helps clean the vegetable before consuming.
Try and let the broccoli cheddar pasta salad sit for an hour before eating. However, at our house, that is a difficult thing. Therefore, when I make it, I do not tell the rest of the family until it has been chilling in the refrigerator for an hour. It will help the flavors meld together a bit for a better tasting salad.
I make mine in a large stainless-steel bowl. This recipe uses 6 cups of broccoli, an entire box of the tri-colored veggie rotini pasta and 16 ounces of shredded cheese. Using a large bowl, ensures there will be enough room to mix the ingredients without making a mess.
Storing the Salad
Make sure to store this dish in the refrigerator for food safety. It will last up to five days. However, I would not know in our house as it is always all gone before the five days is up.
Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad “Deli Copycat Recipe”
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 12 ounces Tri-colored Rotini Pasta 1 box
- 6 cups Broccoli 2 medium heads. cut into small florets
- 1 medium Red Onion diced and rinsed
- 16 ounces Mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 Cups Miracle whip salad dressing
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water, set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. Cut the broccoli in bite-sized pieces. Rinse and drain. Add to a large bowl.
- Dice, rinse and drain the red onion. Add to the large bowl
- Shred the cheddar cheese and add that to the bow.
- In a medium bowl, add the Miracle whip, sugar and apple cider. Mix the salad dressing well.
- Pour over the top of the broccoli, cheese, pasta, and onions. Mix well to incorporate.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.